FleischmanGarciaMaslowski was tasked with designing the Tampa
Heights Elementary Magnet School following significant damage from an
electrical fire when power was restored after Hurricane Irma in 2017.
The design team reconfigured the site to provide a single point of
ingress and egress for safety, a covered bus and student drop-off
area, and a new visitor parking lot.
The courtyard is reactivated with an outdoor amphitheater, and an addition accommodates programmatic requirements for the 398-student station school. Internally, the school is organized around a central stair connecting all three levels and acting as a social incubator. A new steel skeleton keeps the existing exterior brick masonry walls safely in place. The new interior and historic exterior dynamic invigorate the school with new energy and a sense of purpose.
- ASUM 2022 Outstanding Design Award Educational Interiors
- Jan Abell Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Community
- Learning by Design Fall 2022 Architectural and Interior Design Award of Excellence
- ENR 2020 ‘Best K-12 Project’ Award
- ENR 2021 ‘Best of Best’ Award
- ASUM 2021 Citation award winner for school modernization